You can’t help but feel overwhelmed as you log in to Spotify or iTunes. There are SO many podcasts to choose from in every genre imaginable. You think to yourself, “Is there room for another show? Will anyone even want to listen to me?”
Is the podcast market oversaturated?
It’s a valid concern. After all, there are a lot of other people out there who are trying to do the same thing you are. But that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t give it a shot. If you have something unique to say, then there is definitely an audience for you.
The key is to make sure that your show stands out from the rest. What are you offering that other shows aren’t? How can you make sure that people will download your show instead of somebody else’s?
Answering these questions is essential if you want to be successful in the world of podcasting. But don’t feel discouraged – if you have something valuable to say, there is definitely an audience for you.
What Makes Your Podcast Unique?
The first step is to figure out what makes your podcast unique. What are you offering that other shows aren’t? There are a few ways to do this:
- Talk about topics that you’re passionate about: People can tell when you’re not being sincere, so make sure that you’re only talking about things that you’re truly interested in. This will not only make your podcast more enjoyable for you to create, but it will also make it more enjoyable for people to listen to.
- Be yourself: There’s no point in trying to be someone you’re not. Be authentic and true to yourself, and people will respond to that.
- Find your niche: There are a lot of podcasts out there, but there’s always room for more. Figure out what you’re good at and focus on that. If you’re the only podcast about fashion for plus-size women, then you’ve already got a leg up on the competition.
Oversaturated markets are scary, but they’re also an opportunity. If you can find a way to make your podcast unique, then you’ll be able to find an audience no matter how many other shows there are.
Oversaturated Podcast Niches
There are some topics that are just plain oversaturated. If you’re thinking about starting a podcast about one of these topics, you’ll need to be extra careful about making your show unique.
Some examples of oversaturated podcast niches include:
- Movie Reviews
- True Crime
So, we love Reddit. It’s a great way to find out about new things and it’s a great way to learn about what people are really saying without relying on research and white papers. Here’s what some Redditors had to say about the most oversaturated podcast topics:
As you can see, the last thing these Redditors want to see is another show by a host that offers zero unique perspective.
This is why standing out is vital!
Once you determine what makes your podcast unique, you can start to focus on how to make sure that people will download your show instead of somebody else’s.
Making Your Podcast Stand Out
Once you’ve figured out what makes your podcast unique, you need to make sure that your show stands out from the rest. Here are a few ways to do that:
- Have a professional-sounding intro and outro: This will make your podcast sound more polished and professional.
- Invest in good quality equipment: This doesn’t mean that you need to spend a fortune, but using high-quality equipment will make your podcast sound better.
- Edit your episodes: This is one of the most important things you can do. Editing out any dead air or fillers will make your podcast flow more smoothly and keep people engaged.
- Be consistent: releasing new episodes on a regular schedule will keep people coming back for more.
Now that you’ve got an idea of how to make your podcast stand out, you’re ready to start sharing your voice with the world.
You need to market your podcast or else no one will know it exists.
Marketing Your Podcast
Once you’ve got your podcast up and running, you need to start marketing it. Here are a few ways to do that:
- Create social media accounts: This is a great way to get the word out about your show. Share your episodes on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Reach out to other podcasters: See if you can be a guest on other people’s shows. This will help you reach a new audience and get your name out there.
- Submit your podcast to directories: iTunes, Spotify, and Stitcher are all great places to start.
- Create a website for your show: If you’re a podcaster trying to grow your business, you need to have a website for your show. Else, what will you direct your listeners to? How will you convert listeners into customers?
By following these tips, you can make sure that your podcast stands out from the rest and reaches the people who will appreciate it the most. Podcasting is a great way to share your voice with the world, so don’t be discouraged – if you have something valuable to say, there is definitely an audience for you.
Hire a Professional Marketing Agency
While you could try to market your podcast yourself, it’s often best to hire a professional marketing agency. An agency will have the resources and expertise to really make your show shine.
When looking for an agency, be sure to find one that specializes in podcast marketing. They will know the ins and outs of the industry and can help you create a marketing strategy that gets results.
A professional agency will also be able to provide you with other services, such as website design, graphic design, and even recording and editing. If you want to focus on creating great content and leave the marketing to the experts, hiring an agency is the way to go.
Our team at BlakSheep Creative is experienced in podcast marketing and can help you take your show to the next level. Contact us today to learn more about our services.